The Kentucky Wireless Interoperability Executive Committee (KWIEC) shall serve as the advisory board for all wireless communications strategies presented by agencies of the Commonwealth and local governments. All State agencies in the Commonwealth shall present all project plans for primary wireless public safety voice or data communications systems for review and recommendation by the committee, and the committee shall forward the plans to the executive director for final approval. Local government entities shall present project plans for primary wireless public safety voice or data communications systems for review and recommendation by the Kentucky Wireless Interoperability Executive Committee.
- Offers a nationally recognized name and structure as recommended by the Federal Communications Commission.
- Offers more involvement from interested agencies with the addition of local representatives from municipal and county government, police, fire, sheriff, EMS, and a 911 dispatch representative.
- Establishes a reporting mechanism whereby the Executive Director of the Commonwealth Office of Technology shall report by September 15 annually to the Interim Joint Committee on Seniors, Veterans, Military Affairs, and Public Protection and the Interim Joint Committee on State Government on progress and activity by agencies of the Commonwealth to comply with standards to achieve public safety communications interoperability.
- Addresses communications interoperability, a homeland security issue critical to the ability of public safety first responders to communicate with each other by radio.
- Advises and make recommendations to the Chief Information Officer of the Commonwealth regarding strategic wireless initiatives to achieve public safety voice and data communications interoperability.